Friday, September 5, 2008

Ben jamin my ex-roommate

Not many of us land up in a job that we would love to do. And those who actually do what they love doing are called the lucky ones. May be it is not just luck, that took them to the places they continue to tread. It can be more of hard work, perseverance (Yeah the usual lines, I know) and among most of those people, the capacity to say to oneself – “Chill out dude”

Benjamin Cherian Mathew (23 yrs) is one among those who has the presence of mind to say that to himself (at least he acts so). Benji has been on a break from studies for the past two years now. He has upto a lot of things now. For one year he worked for the Americans from his office in India paying a close watch on their economy, while his country was sleeping through those nights.

He quit that job some in an effort to bring his biological clock back to the IST. Not really. He was just too tired interacting with a virtual world. He wanted to come back to the ‘real’ world and interact with real people than with those login names that pop up on the LCD screen in the cubicle. The break didn’t last long. Soon he joined an ad agency, a pretty decent firm with a name in Chennai. He has some BIG names as his clients who keep him busy through the week and even the weekends.

I joined Ben at his place when I had almost nowhere else to go. There were no agreements signed, no formalities of any sort.. He just opened the doors of his home for me – just like that. He even moved out of the bedroom to the living room (also used as the dumping place), so that I could have lots of space for myself. He left his laptop at home with me, so that I could search and find a job and also so that I would not feel much bored at home.

We stayed together for almost more than a month. But the funny thing was that we got to spend some time together only a couple of days in the span of one and a half months, that just flew away before we even realized it. I used to be senseless (not high or anything of that sort.. Just deep sleep). Sometimes he would tell me that I had woken up and spoken to him. But I still can’t remember anything of that sort. In the morning I would leave early for work and he hates to be woken up from sleep. Most of the days I therefore trained myself in developing the softest of ‘paws’ possible.

We got to speak to each other usually over the phone and found out what was happening on each others' end. I realized that there was nothing much in common between us. But we got along pretty well. I wonder how. May be it was mutual respect and some sort of affection that we all have towards those few with whom we have sung together – be it the Choir or “The Psalmists” – with all our differences of opinions, we somehow get along well. Strange but true.

Benji and I now live in two different places. But we still do keep in touch. Sometimes I do miss this ex-roommate whom I rarely gotta meet. Coz, more than a good friend, he is a true gentleman.

*Disclaimer: I am not gay. I'm not too sure of Benji though :)

No comments: